Pages

Friday, October 21, 2011

Snow?


This past week or so, we've been enjoying a sunny 60 degree Autumn, so I was quite surprised to hear that according to Hokkaido tradition, and my English students, Snow is on its way.




Yesterday morning, as I was getting ready for class, I glanced out the window and saw snow. At least, it looked just like snow. Even Stephen was fooled. But considering it was 60 degrees, and sunny with out a cloud in the sky, we decided it must be something else.

(The picture I took was not nearly as clear as this one I found online)


When my students arrived to class, they were all abuzz. "Did you see the Yuki mushi (Snow bugs)?"
So, that's what they were!


My students explained to me that these bugs, only found in Hokkaido, always appear right before it snows.


(Again, not my picture. But, don't they totally look like snow!?)


No one could say how long between Yuki mushi sightings and first snowfall. All they could say was, "mosugu" (soon).


UPDATE:

November 15th, we got our first snowfall. It melted quickly when the sun came up, it it fell non the less. That's 3.5 weeks from seeing the snowbugs. 3.5 weeks does not seem like mosugu (soon) to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...